The farm of Mont-Saint-Jean - The British Ambulance (open for visits)
Address : Chaussée de Charleroi 591 – 1410 Waterloo
The Farm of Mont-Saint-Jean, property of the Order of the Hospital of Saint-Jean (“The Order of the Knights Templar” which becomes “The Order of Malta“), served as a hospital to the allied armies during the battle of Waterloo. Since the 18th of June 2015, it houses the new “British Ambulance” Museum devoted to the treatments used on casualties during the battle on the 18th June 1815.
After the battle, working continuously for nearly four days local doctors and surgeons operated on 6000 allied soldiers. They amputated without anesthesia or antiseptic precautions. The amputated limbs “piled up in the four corners of the farm’s courtyard”.